Monday, April 17, 2006

Rucar Bran

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" said once a wise man and he was right because things that amaze me and make my heart thrill mean nothing to others. This is my point of view, the way I saw things and the way I felt at a certain moment in my life and the person who I explored these sights with, influenced the scenery around me or maybe I was the one influenced by the wonders I was so blessed to be part of. This is one of the case I was talking about. Are you a mountain lover or a seaside one because I am going to talk about the hights and depths, hills and valleys, woods and rivers, lakes and caves. The first stop Campulung-Muscel a location important more for its monument built in the memory of the soldiers killed in the war. The name of the monument is "Monumentul eroilor" and is endowed with an impressive building in the middle of a field on the foot of the mountains because this is in fact the start on the winding road of the Rucar-Bran". In front of the monument there is a canon (don't worry is harmless, as props) and also a museum which is a close replicate to the battlefield. You can take picture of the soldiers only after paying a ticket at the entrance. The view is spectacular at night and there is a legend among the drivers according to which a ghost bride wanders at night and stops the cars to scare the late travellers but I didn't get the chance to meet her although I got chills just knowing about it. Its a dangerous road for the unexperienced driver but it worths every minute even those moments when you have to drive through a dark, thick, endless fog. The novelty and the picturesqueness of this place is the presence of the peasants selling different natural preparations and also amulets tipical to these areas. You'll get use meeting them in this part of the country trying to convince you to buy souvenirs although you don't need them to lock these memories in the heart so you can visit them any time in your mind.

2 comments:

Rex Venom said...

Beautiful pics. It is also nice the way you poetically describe the storage of memories.
Rock on!

Hugh LeDuc said...

Thank you for your apreciations. The idea was not to make a report on the places I have seen (more as an detailed geographical book) but to describe the way I felt seeing them, maybe this way it will be more challenging.